Monday, May 4, 2009

28 Days 'till Phenway, but who's counting?



Jay and I have been asking each other, "is it June yet?" for 4 months now, and it's finally May! The final plans are being checked off lists and in a few short weeks we will be setting sail on the adventure of a lifetime!

My first show was in 1998 at the Worcester Centrum, and I have been a phiend for live Phish ever since. I had been a phan for many years, but was not switched on to the live side of Phish until college. The internet was reletively new and my old mac wasn't internet ready, so I was kinda oblivious to the legions of phans who followed them around the country. I had no idea a concert could be a different musical journey each night. A guy who lived on my floor Freshman year who we called "sketchy Keith" was a part of a taping tree, and after a few bootlegs I was hooked (no pun intended).

I saw them whenever I could, and discovered the beauty of the Phish lightshow and CK5, but still stayed in the 200 mile range around Seacoast NH. Something always seemed to hold me back from doing a full on tour. At Coventry (the "last" Phish show) I felt some regret that I never did the Phish tour thing, traveling with Phish and many other phans from city to city, logging hours of live Phish experiences. It was then that Jay and I made a pact that if they were ever to have a reunion, we would do the whole tour. It was a pact laden with the many ups and downs of emotion we felt that whole weekend in Northern Vermont where we were all tested physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally and every other way one can be tested.

When the rumors were confirmed and it was "ophicial" I knew this would be our tour! Luck was on our side as well, because Jay and I both were free for the summer, with the usual distractions of employment out of the picture. Lady luck further smiled on us when I won 2 tickets to 10 of the 11 June shows through the lottery, and Jay won us 3 tix to Phenway. After a battle with ticketmaster and livenation, trying for Redrocks and other West coast shows, we cut our losses and considered it a miracle that we scored 2 tix to:
5.31.09 Phenway Park Boston MA
6.2.09 Jones Beach NY
6.4.09 Jones Beach NY
6.5.09 Jones Beach NY
6.6.09 Mansfield MA
6.7.09 Camden NJ
6.9.09 Ashville NC
6.10.09 Knoxville TN
6.18.09 Burgettstown PA
6.19.09 Noblesville IN
6.20.09 Alpine Valley WI
6.21.09 Alpine Valley WI
8.16.09 SPAC NY

So that's the history (or Phishtory) of our tour this June. More to come on our road towards Phish tour 2009!

3 comments:

  1. Well said my phishy friend...I can't believe it's less than a month!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you both... can't wait to follow along with you both on your adventure this summer.... this blog is a great idea!

    Peace and love babe and brotha Jay!

    Candace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are looking forward to your visit...

    ReplyDelete